The meat and potatoes of the discussion is why, after the take over of the giant retail chains like Wal-Mart, and Best Buy, that Indie record stores are still in business, and showing rising sales?
The big reason is the experience, and I’m going to explain further. I’m sure you may have a indie record store in your area. Where I am in New England we have two big regional places that have a handful of locations spread out through the Tri-State area. They are Newbury Comics, and Bull Moose Music. Yeah sure these places aren’t extravagant, or do they have the latest architectural design, I mean the closest Bull Moose to me is in Salem, NH and it looks like an ordinary, bland place on the outside.

I mean this is it. Doesn’t look eye catching does it. Well I think that is part of the beauty of it. As of this past year of 2009 this store recorded more record sales than the best buy that is down the street of this place.
I think the next question is what do you feel like when you shop at a Best Buy? Don’t you feel kind of unanimous? Like you really know what your going there for. Maybe you’re a rock guy or girl who want to pick up the latest breaking Benjamin release. Best buy does happen to have it for 18 bucks. So you pick it up and walk out. That’s it? I mean you didn’t look around? I bet it was kind of a very bland experience. Well that’s the thing. When at a Bull Moose or a Newbury comics there this completely different feeling. When you walk to the Newbury Comics in Boston to by a new release from you favorite band you have this good feeling in you. You walk into the store, and know your going to invest in the time and experience of THE RECORD STORE.
You walk down the rows of records, stopping to look at all the niche music. The music that a handful of people you think likes. Now you browse over to the old Vinyl, if you’re an audiophile you would know the sound difference. Yeah they just don’t make them like they use to I know. So you might decide to ask an employee. You look and see a girl with green hair, and a nose piercing, and you ask, “Hey do you have Benjamin’s new Album”? Now you may think that they are more than just one Artist with Benjamin in the name. But this girl knows that the distributor made shipped the newest release of Breaking Benjamin. So she points you right to it. Now wait as you make your way over you see a bands album you never heard of displayed right near Breaking Benjamin’s cd. There a local band that’s getting some buzz. So you say hey I have points on my Freakin Buyers card they give you, so I can get this album for half price. Now you got two albums of your music. There is this feel of personal belonging and experience that no Best Buy or Wal- Mart could duplicate. This is your Music, the songs that make you smile, and cry and love, and everything in between, in a store in your hometown where you’re from and where your life is. You are not just buying an album your are buying a relationship and a experience, the complete package.
So I ask that everyone remember these stores. As we see an up rise in niche genres, and more Grassroots Independents hit the grind, the local record store down the street is a safe haven for upcoming bands and music lovers alike. I think we should appreciate that facet of our lives because it has been one of the things that have not become raced out, and diluted in what today is an out of touch, and fast paced culture.
Hi Nate,
ReplyDeleteThis is a great post. You have totally explained what we are trying to do. I am curious about what class you are in that discusses independent music stores. That must be quite a class. Thanks so much for taking the time to write about us.
Chris from Bull Moose